Sunday, November 16, 2014

Proposal.

Proposal:




I chose our third mini essay, which dealt with Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and what her traits are and examples from the book that portrayed them. I picked this essay because i know that there is a lot of room to expand, especially because I wrote about how she had strength and how she used that strength to get passed racism. I put a lot about how she gets passed peoples racism, but i would like to put more about the segregation topic in. Not only did she get passed people being racist to her and being separated from other races, but so many others did too. I would like to expand the essay from not only the book but to actually put in more of the history aspect of racism and how it applied to many races as well as add in segregation for races that came about later in history. Segregation is a point in history that I find very wrong however, it is also one of the most interesting to me to learn about and i would want to expand not only my knowledge of that time, but write about it too. This essay gives me the chance to do that.


Key Terms:
• Segregation for African Americans during the time of Maya Angelou
• " " during earlt America
Segregation for the Japanese in America during WWII
• Racism in the past
• Racism today
• how people become racist  
• Racial profiling   
• Racism in jobs

3 comments:

  1. I like the fact that you are focusing on her strength. for this essay I also wrote on her encounters of racism but also included the effects of how racism made her highly insecure, so if you wanted to you could include her over coming her insecurities about her race because of the racism she encountered and that would still be focusing on her strength. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of expanding more on segregation as a whole, even beyond the book. I wouldn't have thought of doing that, I probably would have kept it to the book. I might include the Rosa Parks incident, because historically, that was a huge step in the right direction for humanity I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent feedback from your peers. Since we have so much great work from Angelou, you might want to find poems, etc., that also support your claim. On the other hand, finding other examples of strength during this time might be a good path as well.

    ReplyDelete